Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The 80's Lives

Ah... the 80's... such a wonderful decade for many things, Professional Wrestling included. The 80's was a great time for stereotypes in professional wrestling...

Whether you were a "wild" Samoan...
A Native American "Chief"...An African "Headhunter"...
An "Adorable" homosexual...Or even ( gasp ) a New Zealand "Bushwhacker".But my favourite of all of these stereotypes... were the Russians.
To be a Russian, all you really needed was a beard, a bald head, and the abilty to mangle the English language.

Russian...
Not Russian...Russian...Not Russian...
Russians ( and a token German )...er... Probably not...
Well, you get my drift anyway.
It was certainly a great time in wrestling. But perhaps, in a patriotic country such as the USA, not a good time to just be a bald, bearded guy like me. "Did you see that guy" the kids would say, "I bet he's a Russkie"... Kids are so unkind. Sob...

So today, I will leave you, with my cartoon... a homage to times past...... and Nikolai Volkoff ( who always had a good head of hair for a Russian ), singing the Russian National anthem... It still brings a tear to my eye comrade... er... friends...

much love...
J.

No comments: