Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nick Bockwinkel

I was asked ( well truth be told, I kind of invited myself ) to contribute something, cartoon-wise for this year's Cauliflower Alley Club Reunion. The Cauliflower Alley Club, if you don't know it, is a non-profit fraternal organization, which includes a newsletter and website, comprised of both retired and active professional wrestlers and boxers in North America. Established in 1965 by Mike Mazurki and Art Abrams, the organization hosts an annual reunion dinner which has traditionally been attended by celebrities and other professional athletes. It is well worth your effort to look then up, and join their cause.
Anyway... I was asked if maybe I could perhaps draw an illustration of the great Nick Bockwinkel. Now anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge mark for Bockwinkel, and rate him as one of the top ten wrestlers of all time. Watching a Bockwinkel match is about as high on the Wrestling enjoyment scale as you can get. And, well... I didn't think my last drawing of him would quite be what they were looking for...
Either way, I gave it a go ( after much stage fright ), and I'm relatively happy with how it came out... so, as it happens, are they... good times...

No comments: