Monday, January 24, 2011

Steve Rickard

Anyone who has followed this blog, and my work in general for any length of time, will know I credit two people for my love of wrestling. In my upcoming book, I sum it up as succinctly as I can, when I say "this is for my Father, who took me to my first wrestling show... and for Steve Rickard, who kept me there".

For those of you who don't know, Steve Rickard ( seen here with fellow On The Mat star Mark Lewin, with whom he shared the Australasian Tag Team Championship ) was a wrestler and promoter, specifically around the Pacific area ( New Zealand, Asia, Hawaii ) for over 30 years. I've mentioned him before here , and as I said - "He was also the first wrestler I ever met, and more importantly from an historical point of view, the man behind the "On The Mat" television show in New Zealand. The show that "hooked" me into wrestling. I owe Steve Rickard a lot... "


I've wanted to draw Steve before, but always kind of got stage fright in drawing someone I hold in such high regard.. today I persevered, and put into cartoon form pretty much how I feel ( and also perhaps how most of the girls I've ever dated do too ).

Thank you Steve, for everything.

No comments: